2013 Erie Canalway Photo Contest Winners
Twelve images that capture the beauty and character of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor have been selected as winners of the 2013 Erie Canalway Photo Contest. Winning images will be featured in the 2014 Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Calendar and can be viewed online at www.eriecanalway.org/gallery.php.
Winning images from Western New York include “Buffalo’s Beacon” by Mark Bofinger of Colden, which won 1st Place in the “Bridges, Buildings and Locks” category. Bofinger also received Honorable Mention for “Sunset Sail Along Canalside.” Honorable Mention was awarded to Ann Kutner of Lockport for “Frozen Barn” in Gasport and to Stephen Bye for “Lone Hiker in Autumn” in Lockport.
“These outstanding images capture the extraordinary heritage of the canal corridor and remind us what makes it worth preserving and celebrating,” said Beth Sciumeca, Executive Director of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor.
Judges selected twelve winners from more than 300 entries. First, second and third place photographs were chosen in each of four contest categories: Bridges, Buildings, and Locks; On the Water; For the Fun of It; and The Nature of the Canal. In addition, twelve photographs received an honorable mention recognition.
The free 2014 Erie Canalway calendars will be distributed later this fall throughout upstate New York. Locations where the calendars will be made available to the public will be posted at: www.eriecanalway.org in November.
2013 ERIE CANALWAY PHOTO CONTEST WINNERS
Buildings, Bridges & Locks
- 1st Buffalo’s Beacon (Buffalo), Mark Bofinger, Colden, NY
- 2nd Lift Bridge on Snowy Evening (Fairport), Keith Boas, Fairport, NY
- 2nd Schoharie Aqueduct Sunset (Fort Hunter), Halldor Sigurdsson, Broadalbin, NY
On the Water
- 1st Rochester Skyline at Dusk (Rochester), Dave Valvo, Rochester, NY
- 2nd Kayakers on the Water (Fairport), Kathy Eichorn, Spencerport, NY
- 3rd Colonial Belle in Schoen Place (Pittsford), Carl Crumley, Rochester, NY
For the Fun of It
- 1st Oswego Paddlefest (Oswego), Richard Drosse, Oswego, NY
- 2nd Twilight in Pittsford (Pittsford), Claire Talbot, Henrietta, NY
- 3rd Fishing at Sunset (Niskayuna), John Walsh, Albany, NY
Nature of the Canal
- 1st Nature of the Old Erie (Vischer Ferry), Karl Barth, Poughkeepsie, NY
- 2nd Autumn Reflections (Canastota), Tanya Kauffman, Canastota, NY
- 3rd Sunset Swim (Onondaga Lake), Candace O’Brien, Syracuse, NY
Honorable Mention Recipients
- They’re Off – Hudson Crossing Park’s Races (Schuylerville), Mike Bielkiewicz, Mechanicville, NY
- Winter Dusk on Ice (Lansingburgh), Max Kintner, Waterford, NY
- Misty Morning (Waterford), Willard Bridgham, Albany, NY
- Fourth Street Bridge (Waterford), Robert Coppola, Clifton Park, NY
- Frozen Lock 19 (Vischer Ferry), Karl Barth, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Remaining Arches (Schoharie Aqueduct, Fort Hunter), Charles Szuberla, Scotia, NY
- Before the Storm (Oswego), Alla Sokolovskaya, Oswego, NY
- Whitewater Kayaking (Pittsford), Janice Esse, Fairport, NY
- Mary Jemison (Rochester), Barbara Oliver, Macedon, NY
- Frozen Barn (Gasport), Ann Kutner, Lockport, NY
- Lone Hiker in Autumn (Lockport), Stephen Bye, Lockport, NY
- Sunset Sail Along Canalside (Buffalo), Mark Bofinger, Colden, NY