Student Leader, Erika Richardson, dares Buffalo to care about youth sex, STDs, and teen pregnancy by attending the last of four Community Forums on Youth Sex in Buffalo at Bennett High School on Main Street on Thursday, October 11, 2012. Erika Richardson, age 17, is a senior at Performing Arts High School, a Student Representative to the Buffalo Public Schools Board of Education, and a peer educator with Planned Parenthood of Western New York’s Teen Reality Theater.
Planned Parenthood of Western New York, as one of the lead agencies of the Buffalo Community Council on Comprehensive Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention (BCAPP), and in partnership with the Buffalo Public Schools, is sponsoring four town-hall style community forums to be held in High School auditoriums in the South, East, West, and North parts of the City of Buffalo. The North Buffalo forum at Bennett High School is the last.
The status of youth sex has not only raised significant community health concerns, but it is also a significant contributor to reduced academic performance, sporadic attendance, strained graduation rates, and overall poverty in Buffalo.
“Planned Parenthood is the organization Buffalo can rely on to ensure a straightforward, honest, and non-judgmental community conversation about the state of youth sex we are facing today. We have more than 80 years’ experience in Western New York as a trusted source of reproductive health services,” said Christopher Spicer, CAPP Coordinator at Planned Parenthood of Western New York.
These efforts are in response to the Buffalo Public Schools 2011 Youth Risk Behaviors Survey, which stated the BPS students report having sexual intercourse at 20% higher than the NYS average, and that BPS students report having four or more sexual partners at 41% higher than the NYS average.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING THE COMMUNITY FORUMS:
Who/What: Final Community Forum on Youth Sex in Buffalo
- Town Hall style discussion with blue-ribbon panel
- Carolyn Lopez, R.N., Erie County Preventive Health Clinic Head Nurse
- Dr. Barbara Seals Nevergold, Buffalo Public Schools Board of Education Member-at-Large.
- Assunta R. Ventresca, RN, MSN, Director of Health Related Services, Buffalo Public Schools
- Carlos Alvarez, Principal of Bennett High School
- Estella Johnson, Parent with children in Buffalo Public Schools
- Kevin Sepulveda, Buffalo Youth from Erie 1 BOCES
- Emily Terrana, Western Regional Organizer, New York Civil Liberties Union
- The people of Buffalo who get to take part in interactive discussion
§ Teen “Reality” Theater performance on parent-child communication
§ Information “scavenger hunt” among organization tables with prizes
§ Post-event survey to record suggestions to the Buffalo Public Schools
§ Complimentary Food and Beverages
Where/When: Oct 11, 2012, 6:30 PM – North Buffalo Forum @ Bennett High School Auditorium
2885 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214, 6:30 PM