Congressman Brian Higgins (NY-27) named nine local residents to serve as members of his Service Academy Advisory Committee. Appointees met recently to interview students applying to a military academy and make recommendations to Congressman Higgins.
- Jerry Irving: A Commander in the US Navy with 25 years of experience; a “Blue and Gold” officer for the Naval Academy; directed the Naval Systems Business Unit at Moog for over 20 years
- Frank Clark: A member of the Marine Corp; Korean War Veteran; and former Erie County District Attorney
- James Raymond: Army Specialist and University at Buffalo Graduate who served in Afghanistan
- Col. Patrick Cunningham: Served in the Army for 30 years; Vietnam Veteran; received the “Legion of Merit” and 4 other awards for service; Director of Naval Park for 18 years.
- Bill Greeley: Retired Veteran Affairs liaison for Congressman Higgins
- Hon. Geoff Szymanski: Served in the Navy as a machinist; Mayor of the City of Lackawanna
- Darin Shulz: Served in the US Navy for 6 years; deployed overseas to South America, Mediterranean, and West Africa; received numerous achievement medals while active; now an Executive Director of SUNY Fredonia FSA.
- Captain Jordan Then: Marine Officer since 2004; promoted to Captain in 2008; an Iraq War Veteran; member of the US Marine Corps Reserve serving as Recruiting Support Officer for Marine Corps Recruiting Station Buffalo
- Steve Banko: Served in the Army’s 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam; recipient of 4 Purple Hearts, 4 Bronze Stars, a Silver Star; and a 35-year career in public service including 12 as the field office director for HUD in Buffalo