Here is your Buffalo Wins mock draft. Last year I wrote some player breakdowns, and I apologize for not doing that this year. Well, I sort of apologize. I’m not sure what happened between last year’s draft and this year’s draft, but it seems like everybody is now some sort of NFL draft/talent evaluator. The worst part is that my Twitter feed is covered with these fake evaluators. If I came across like that last year, I apologize. If you want real NFL player evaluations, pay attention to what Mike Mayock and Charles Davis say on NFL Network. And if ESPN is still your thing, it’s Mel Kiper. The best blogger to read is Dan Kader over at Sports Nation Mocking The Draft (@mockingthedraft). Buffalo Bills fans should read, AND ONLY READ, Brian Galliford at Buffalo Rumblings. (Their coverage of the Bills this off-season has been incredible. Galliford and Matt Warren have been putting out great information and posts on everything.) I’d also recommend Joe Buscaglia at WGR.
Having said that, I do enjoy doing the mock draft thing. We’ll do one more the week of the draft. By then we should have a great read on who the Bills like and which direction they’ll go. Here is our mock with some whimsical quotes and no trades.
1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel – LT, Texas A&M. Nothing has changed.
2. Jaguars: Geno Smith – QB, West Virginia. New GM plus new head coach will equal taking the best QB available. Blaine Gabbert just isn’t the answer.
3. Raiders: Dee Milliner – CB, Alabama. This guy blew up at the combine. The Raiders are in a division with Peyton Manning, Andy Reid, and Phillip Rivers. Pass happy offenses. Raiders need a shutdown CB.
4. Eagles: Shariff Floyd – DT, Florida. Will help shore up their run defense.
5. Lions: Dion Jordan – LB, Oregon. Lions look to replace Cliff Averil.
6. Browns: Ezekiel Ansah – DE, BYU. This guy has the highest ceiling of any first round prospect.
7. Cardinals: Eric Fisher – OT, Central Michigan. The Cardinals need to get better up front. Some mock drafts I’ve read have Fisher going number one overall.
8. Bills: Matt Barkley – QB, USC. Barkley is the best fit for what the Bills are looking to do on offense. Barkley is a four year starter who won a lot of games at USC, and if he came out last year (which he should’ve) he would’ve been a Top 5 pick. If the Bills do decide to draft a QB here, then I hope they trade down to do it. They only have 6 picks and that isn’t enough to fill the holes that need to be filled.
9. Jets: Jarvis Jones -OLB, Georgia. His pro day left a lot to be desired but his potential is too much to pass on.
10. Titans: Chance Warmack – OG, Alabama. The best pure offensive lineman in the draft will pair up nicely with Levitre in Tennessee. Chris Johnson needs the help in front as does Locker.
11. Chargers: Lane Johnson – OT, Oklahoma
12. Dolphins: Xavier Rhodes – CB, Florida State. Hey, when you have Kevin Kolb in your division…
13. Tampa Bay: Sheldon Richardson – DT, Missouri. Hey, when you have Adrian Peterson in your division…
14. Carolina: Star Lotulelei – DT, Utah. I’d be surprised if he fell this far, but Carolina would love it.
15. New Orleans: Barkevious Mingo – OLB, LSU. The best name in the draft stays in Louisiana.
16. St Louis Rams: Tavon Austin – WR, WVU. My favorite player in the draft. Sam Bradford gets a fancy toy.
17. Pittsburgh: Cordarelle Patterson – WR, Tennessee. Boom or bust potential here. Big Ben needs a replacement for Mike Wallace.
18. Dallas: Jonathan Cooper – OG, UNC. North Carolina has produced some good football prospects the last 3 years…
19. NY Giants: Sylvester Williams – DT, UNC. Hey look another one!
20. Chicago Bears: Arthur Brown – LB, Kansas St. Not a bad replacement for Urlacher.
21. Bengals: Kenny Vaccaro – S, Texas: Would help this secondary.
22. Rams: Damontre Moore – DE, Texas A&M. Throw him on the opposite side of Chris Long who is already a stud.
23. Vikings: Keenan Allen – WR, Cal. Ponder needs someone to throw to.
24. Colts: Datone Jones – DE, UCLA. Slowly moving up the boards… I liked him in college. A lot.
25. Vikings: Bjoern Werner- DE, FSU. A name like this belongs in Minnesota.
26. Green Bay: Tyler Eifert – TE, Notre Dame. If the Bills traded down, and grabbed Eifert I wouldn’t be upset. At all. In three years he will be the best tight end in the NFL. He has everything you want. He has decent speed, height, and long arms. When he is covered he is open, and he can actually block. How about this: Bills trade down in the first, grab Eifert and with the 2nd round pick, grab Barkley or Nassib. /fans self….
27. Texans: Matt Elam – SS, Florida. Good player. Wouldn’t be surprised if he fell out of the first though.
28. Broncos: Johnathan Hankins – DT, Ohio State. Peyton Protection
29. Patriots: Desmond Trufant – CB, Washington. That stink you smell from Foxborough is the Patriots’ secondary.
30. Falcons: Johnthan Banks – CB, Mississippi St. Pass happy NFC South. Need help behind the front 7.
31. 49ers: Jesse Williams – DT, Alabama. Roll Tide.
32. Ravens: Justin Pugh – OG, Syracuse. The Ravens will look elsewhere for their Ray Lewis replacement. Te’o just isn’t first round material after what I saw at the combine.