Biden to Baltimore after bridge collapse: ‘Nation has your back’

(NewsNation) — President Joe Biden, in remarks made during his trip Friday to Baltimore, Maryland, told those affected by the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse that the “nation has your back.”

Earlier that day, he had taken a look at efforts to clean up the wreckage. Officials said more than 50 salvage divers and 12 crans are helping to cut out sections of the bridge and remove them from the waterway.

“The damage is devastating and our hearts are still breaking,” Biden said.

Eight workers had been filling potholes on the bridge last month when it was hit by a cargo ship. Two men were rescued, while six died. Of those who were killed, only two bodies have been recovered.

The workers had been immigrants from Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador.

“Most were immigrants, but all were Marylanders. Hard-working, strong and selfless,” he said.

After the collapse, Biden vowed that the federal government would pay for the entire cost of reconstructing the bridge. So far, the Federal Highway Administration has allocated $60 million in emergency funding to the project. In addition, Biden announced Friday, it is planning to give over $8 million in grant funds to make infrastructure improvements at Sparrow’s Point.

On Friday, the White House said it is asking Congress to allow the federal government to cover 100% of the bridge cleanup and reconstruction costs, instead of getting the money through a separate supplemental funding request. Biden reiterated the need for this at the Friday press conference.

Officials have repeatedly warned that the recovery and reconstruction efforts won’t be easy. During a Thursday appearance on “CUOMO,” Democratic Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said that recovery operations are “remarkably complex.”

“We have 27,000 tons of bridge debris that’s also now sitting pancaked at the bottom of the river,” Moore said. “And there are four souls that are still unaccounted for.”

Moore said he can’t overstate the level of devastation the collapse has had on Baltimore.

“It’s really unprecedented when you have a ship that is literally the size of the Eiffel Tower and the weight of the Washington Monument that is now sitting trapped in the middle of the Patapsco River,” Moore said.

Along with the turmoil for the victims’ families, there are concerns about how the bridge collapse will affect Baltimore’s economy as the port’s main shipping channel was destroyed.

To help workers, Gov. Wes Moore said the state is launching the “Maryland Tough, Baltimore Strong” Alliance, which is made of philanthropic, business and community leaders. Members of the alliance have committed a combined $15 million to support workers.

 Amazon, Home Depot and Domino Sugar, among other businesses, committed to keeping their employees on the payroll until the port is opened again, Biden said.

As much as $200 million in cargo moves through Baltimore’s port a day, making it the leading hub for importing and exporting vehicles.

There have been two temporary channels created to allow a limited amount of marine traffic through, and there’s been work on getting a third one open as well, the Associated Press wrote.

By the end of April, Biden said, a third channel will be opened for some commercial traffic, including car carriers, Biden said. By the end of May, the full channel will be cleared.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related articles

It Might Get Loud!: SatchVai Band, Animals As Leaders Tear the Roof Off in Buffalo

SatchVai Band: Surfing With the Hydra, with guests Animals...

Republicans made a ‘tacit admission’ about midterms — and it could blow up in their face



A conservative columnist warned on Monday that her Republican colleagues just made a "tacit admission" about the 2026 midterms that could blow up in their face.

S.E. Cupp, a columnist for CNN, said during a segment on "The Source" with host Kaitlan Collins that Republicans have all but admitted that they don't stand a chance during the midterms with their push for mid-cycle redistricting. While those efforts seem to have paid off so far, Cupp warned that they could energize the Democratic base in a way that thwarts all the time Republicans spent trying to rig the election in their favor.

"Here's the thing that I think is important to point out if you care about democracy," Cupp said. "The republicans have done what they've done because they've been allowed to. But it's also a tacit admission that they know they cannot win without rigging it. They're out of ideas. They're not even attempting to win new voters or win back the voters that they've been losing since gaining them in 2024."

Several Republican states from Texas to Louisiana and Tennessee have adopted new election maps ahead of the midterms in an effort to preserve the Republican majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Cupp warned that voters can see through the Republicans' plans, and that may cause them to backfire in November.

"So this is the giddiness and the crowing I'm seeing from republicans about the state of the redistricting math and how it's helping Republicans," she said. "What they're not saying out loud is what I think a lot of voters can see, which is you had to rig it to make yourself competitive. And I don't even know if this will still make them competitive. They might actually be handing Democrats an advantage by really ginning up that base, firing them up to go and vote."

Arts in Public Places Committee Meeting: May 11, 2026

The Arts in Public Places Committee (EACAB)...

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."