Chicago measles cases declining amid outbreak: Officials

(NewsNation) — Amid a measles outbreak that represents nearly 50% of confirmed cases in the United States and that has been centered at a migrant shelter, Chicago health officials are seeing a decrease in those testing positive for the contagious disease.

The Chicago Department of Public Health said Friday that officials confirmed only four new cases this week, taking the city’s total to 57 cases. The majority of the measles cases remain linked to the city’s largest migrant shelter in Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood.

Of the 57 cases, 33 involve children below the age of 5, which officials say underscores the importance of childhood vaccination.

City health officials reported that more than 6,000 migrants and asylum-seekers have received the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine since the first measles case was confirmed in Chicago in mid-March. 

Yet despite a recent drop in cases, which have been declining since March 24 when 14 cases had been reported, Chicago’s cases are the highest in the country. As of Friday, the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention have reported 113 confirmed cases, 61 of which exist in Illinois, including four that have been confirmed in Chicago suburban counties.

Florida has reported 10 to 19 cases, according to the CDC. Each of the other 16 other jurisdictions where measles have been detected have confirmed between one and nine cases.

The CDC sent a team to Chicago to help local health officials deal with the outbreak. In the first two days after the initial case was confirmed, 900 people at the Pilsen shelter were vaccinated, while another 700 were found to have either been previously vaccinated or had previous exposure to measles.

A CDC spokesman told NewsNation this week that it is still investigating the source of the initial Chicago case.

Since the outbreak started, the city health department said it has hosted more than 75 MMR vaccine events at the city’s 23 migrant shelters since the beginning of March. The city also continues to provide vaccinations at the city’s landing zone for those who need them.

Ald. Raymond Lopez told NewsNation this week he believes that migrants should be vaccinated “to the American standard” when they arrive. Lopez says he has raised the alarm on migrant health issues since last fall when he said cases of measles and tuberculosis were being found in migrants sleeping in local police precincts.

The city only announced a “small number” of confirmed TB cases at a few migrant shelters this week. The city has not specified how many cases exist and what shelters are available.

Related articles

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."

Town of Tonawanda man accused of murdering his wife

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aM4rrpiApIE