Pope Leo XIV election not a response to Trump: American cardinals

(NewsNation) — Two American cardinals pushed back on the idea that the conclave selected Cardinal Robert Prevost — now Pope Leo XIV — as a counterweight to President Donald Trump.

Cardinals Timothy Dolan and Wilton Daniel Gregory, among others, addressed questions Friday about Leo’s path to becoming pontiff.

When asked whether the selection of the first American pope was a reflection of cardinals’ desire to balance out Trump’s global influence, Gregory said: “I didn’t sense in the conversations that I had with the other cardinals of the world that the conclave was seen as a continuation of the American political election.”

While he acknowledged the cardinals were aware of statements and political actions out of the United States, Gregory said he felt the electing members were primarily concerned with “who among us can bring us together.”

“It wasn’t an election conclave, it was a desire to strengthen the Christian faith among God’s people,” he said.

  • Pope Leo XIV holds his hands in prayer
  • A crowd of onlookers cheer in Vatican City
  • Cardinals attend a Mass
  • White smoke billows from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel

Nolan agreed, calling Leo a “bridge builder” who will inevitably work together with myriad world leaders.

“Will he want to build bridges to Donald Trump? I suppose that he would want to build bridges with the leader of every nation. So, I don’t think — at all — my brother cardinals would have thought of him as a counterweight to any one person,” Nolan said.

Nolan added that a conversation with Trump likely wouldn’t hold any more “heft” for Leo than the head of any other nation.

Leo has previously used social media to push back on the Trump administration and its rhetoric around immigration, the death penalty and gun laws, according to a review of his X posts by NewsNation partner The Hill.

In a 2023 interview with the Vatican News Service, the then-cardinal called social media “an important tool to communicate the Gospel message reaching millions of people,” though he acknowledged there is sometimes “a risk of fueling divisions and controversy.”

Related articles

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."

Under Trump, courts stacked against immigrants

{"@context":"http://schema.org/","@id":"https://investigativepost.org/2026/05/19/under-trump-immigration-courts-stacked-against-migrants/#arve-youtube-2ixvchd7w-s-2","type":"VideoObject","embedURL":"https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/2IXvChd7W-s?feature=oembed&iv_load_policy=3&modestbranding=1&rel=0&autohide=1&playsinline=0&autoplay=0"} Prior to Donald Trump’s return to office, the immigration...