NYC gunman was targeting NFL but took wrong elevator: Mayor Adams

Graphic Warning: This story contains graphic topics that may be disturbing. Discretion is advised.

(NewsNation) — The man who fatally shot four people in a high-rise office building in Manhattan before turning the gun on himself was targeting the headquarters of the National Football League, New York City Mayor Eric Adams said Tuesday.

Investigators believe 27-year-old Shane Tamura mistakenly took the wrong elevator, leading him to Rudin Management instead, Adams told NewsNation local affiliate WPIX.

Tamura reportedly had a three-page suicide note inside his pocket, which claimed he had a brain injury from a contact sport and blamed the NFL. Tamura, who played high school football, reportedly wanted his brain studied after his death. An official motive has not yet been released.

2 New York shooting victims identified

On Tuesday, investment management company Blackstone confirmed executive Wesley LePatner was killed in the shooting. LePatner’s colleagues described her as “brilliant, passionate, warm, generous, and deeply respected within our firm.”

Didarul Islam, 36, was a veteran of the New York Police Department for more than three years. He left behind a wife — who is eight months pregnant — and two young sons, according to New York Gov. Kathy Hochul.

“My heart is with his loved ones, his NYPD family and every victim of this tragedy,” she said in a statement.

An NFL employee was among those shot at a Manhattan office building Monday, the league’s commissioner said in a letter to employees obtained by NewsNation.

“One of our employees was seriously injured in this attack. He is currently in the hospital and in stable condition. NFL staff are at the hospital and we are supporting his family,” the letter reads.

“We believe that all of our employees are otherwise safe and accounted for,” it continued.

  • New York Police Department officers stand next to ambulance
  • New York Police Department officer stands outside building
  • New York State Police troopers gather on 52nd Street outside a Manhattan office building
  • pedestrians duck under police tape while walking in NYC
  • Police walk on the corner of Lexington Avenue and 53rd Street, in New York
  • New York Police Department officers arrive on the corner of Lexington Avenue and 53rd Street
  • NYPD cars parked in Manhattan

Manhattan office building shooting: What happened

Tamura was seen on surveillance footage getting out of a black BMW and carrying an M4 rifle. He then walked into 345 Park Avenue — a 44-story building housing financial firms, the NFL and more — and immediately shot an NYPD officer, police said.

He then reportedly shot a woman trying to hide behind a pillar in the lobby, a guard behind the security desk and another man.

Officials said Tamura allowed a different woman to walk out of an elevator and into the lobby without injuring her. He then went up to the 33rd floor, Rudin Management’s office, and fired multiple rounds as he walked through the room, killing another person on that floor, officials said.

He then went down a hallway and shot himself in the chest, the NYPD said.

Tamura drove from Nevada to New York to commit the crime, the Associated Press reported.

“New York has some of the strongest gun laws in the nation. We banned assault weapons. We strengthened our Red Flag Law. We closed dangerous loopholes,” Hochul said. “But our laws only go so far when an AR-15 can be obtained in a state with weak gun laws and brought into New York to commit mass murder. 

NewsNation’s Patrick Djordjevic and Brittney Donovan contributed to this report.

Related articles

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."

Red state candidate vows to turn ICE centers into prisons for ‘American Zionists’



A controversial Democratic candidate in Texas has proclaimed she would use Immigration and Customs Enforcement centers for a new purpose — to round up "American Zionists."

According to the San Antonio Current, Maureen Galindo, a sex therapist running for Texas' newly-redrawn 35th Congressional District consisting of eastern San Antonio and the exurbs around it, posted to Instagram that she will "turn Karnes ICE Detention Center into a prison for American Zionists and former ICE officers for human trafficking." She added that "it will also be a castration processing center for pedophiles, which will probably be most of the Zionists.”

In her Instagram post, which spanned several pages and ranted against "billionaire Zionists that control San Antonio," she also accused her Democratic primary opponent, Bexar County Sheriff's Deputy Johnny Garcia, of "want[ing] Mexicans and Jews in warehouses." She has previously claimed, with no evidence, that Garcia is part of a human trafficking operation on behalf of Zionists.

Galindo has repeatedly faced accusations of being antisemitic, which she denies, claiming that she supports "the Indigenous Jews (The Semites) of the Middle East" over "the Fake Jews" committing genocide against them.

All of this comes as mainstream Democratic figures in Texas and around the country line up behind Garcia's candidacy.

It also comes as a mysterious PAC with ties to the GOP has worked behind the scenes to boost Galindo to voters in the 35th District, which has been made significantly more Republican-leaning as a result of Texas lawmakers' MAGA-ordered mid-decade redistricting.

Trump AG has FULL COLLAPSE at SENATE HEARING

MeidasTouch host Ben Meiselas reports on Trump’s...