Vance to visit southern border to highlight immigration crackdown

EAGLE PASS, Texas (NewsNation) — Vice President JD Vance will visit the U.S. southern border on Wednesday to highlight the administration’s tough immigration policies as the White House touts a sharp decline in border crossings.

Border security is a top priority for President Donald Trump, and Vance’s trip marks the highest-ranking official from the administration to visit the border since he took office six weeks ago.

Alongside Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and National Intelligence Director Tulsi Gabbard, Vance will tour a federal immigration processing facility in Eagle Pass, Texas, once considered a hotspot for illegal crossings.

This visit comes as the White House pushes its “whole of government” approach, coordinating efforts between the departments of Homeland Security, Defense and Justice.

Trump touts decline in illegal border crossings 

Illegal crossings at the southern border have reportedly dropped 94% compared to last year, according to Border Patrol officials, and the decline is attributed to several factors — including labeling cartel groups as terrorist organizations, boosting ICE deportations and deploying military resources for enforcement and deportation flights.

A year ago, there was an average of 4,800 migrant encounters daily, officials said; that number has now reportedly dropped to less than 300. Areas like Eagle Pass and Del Rio in South Texas that once saw thousands of illegal crossings under the Biden administration now reportedly average less than 50 encounters per day.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said February marked the “lowest month in recorded history for (migrant) encounters at our border.”

She reposted Trump’s social media post that said there were 8,326 apprehensions of undocumented immigrants by Border Patrol agents at the U.S.-Mexico border in February.

“My first full month in Office, had the LOWEST number of illegal immigrants trying to enter our Country in History – BY FAR!” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

The latest Customs and Border Protection data, released in January, reports a total of 179,572 immigrant encounters by Border Patrol agents since the start of fiscal year 2025 on Oct. 1 — but that data includes more than four months of encounters under the previous administration.

In January, there were 29,116 immigrant encounters on the Southwest border, CBP reported. The largest number of encounters occurred in the San Diego sector, with 6,397. The Rio Grande Valley Border Patrol reported the second-most encounters with 5,965, and the El Paso sector was third with 4,871, CBP said.

The number of single adults encountered on the Southwest border so far in fiscal year 2025 has dropped 73% from the previous year, and the number of families has dropped 84%, CBP reported.

Customs and Border Protection releases monthly encounter data but has not yet released February figures.

Trump eyeing plan to revive Title 42

Trump is also considering reinstating Title 42, an emergency health authority that allows immigration officials to turn away migrants at the border to prevent the spread of disease.

If Title 42 were renewed, officials could enact similar restrictions while citing the potential spread of diseases such as tuberculosis, according to internal government documents obtained by CBS News.

The policy was first enacted in Trump’s first administration during the COVID-19 pandemic

Related articles

Did Trump say, ‘Nobody knows God better than me’? Don’t be fooled

Social media users shared a screenshot allegedly showing that President Donald Trump posted the quote on Truth Social.

Did Kash Patel snorkel at Pearl Harbor memorial? We investigated

The FBI director took part in an authorized tour around the sunken USS Arizona, which is off-limits to the public. The tour's purpose is unclear.

Where the Bands Are: This Week in Live Music and Concert News

Have a cool concert or interesting event you know...

Eric Trump Brags About New Trump Tower He Says Will Be ‘Tallest Building’ in Former Soviet Republic

First Son Eric Trump bragged Monday that the Trump Organization would be building a tower in Tbilisi, Georgia that he said would be the "tallest building" in the former Soviet Republic.

The post Eric Trump Brags About New Trump Tower He Says Will Be ‘Tallest Building’ in Former Soviet Republic first appeared on Mediaite.