Raw Story
Featured Stories:
Where the Bands Are: This Week in Live Music and Concert News
“It Was Fun” | Konsta Helenius Reflects On 2026 Buffalo Sabres Postseason, NHL Playoffs
What Will Happen To Gasoline Prices When the Iran War Ends?
Turmoil erupts in Pennsylvania town after Trump spreads false claims about Haitians there

For the last week, former President Donald Trump has been leveling false attacks against Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio --and now, it appears a western Pennsylvania town could face the same crisis.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday that the small town of Charleroi, about 30 miles south of Pittsburgh, has been facing the same types of xenophobic allegations, said city manager Joe Manning.
In Charleroi, there are “people on Facebook saying that there’s a government-funded tent city in the Rite Aid parking lot, that there’s people walking down the street carrying live chickens," Manning told the Inquirer.
Read Also: 'I want Vance to apologize': We went to Springfield and found community hurt — and divided
Trump put a spotlight on Washington County, Pennsylvania during a recent rally when he falsely claimed that immigrants in the borough were bankrupting residents by hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Manning said he received a call from a woman in a neighboring city on Friday. The woman claimed she brought her daughter to the Catholic church for religious classes. After hearing the news, the woman was worried about her daughter's safety.
"Disparaging statements about Haitian immigrants have been circulated online by conservative media outlets, the Washington County Republican Party, and conservative politicians, including Pennsylvania Republican Senate candidate Dave McCormick and Charleroi Council member Larry Celaschi," the report said.
The Washington County Republican Party posted about Haitian immigrants on Facebook and was inundated with fearful messages from supporters.
One woman claimed that she got a flat tire driving through Charleroi and her car was "surrounded" by about "15 Haitians." She said she was "scared."
" I was trying to be brave because I didn’t want to act weak honestly I’m not sure what their intentions were," she wrote.
The group got her car unstuck and changed her tire.
Others flooded comments with allegations like “Import the 3rd World become the 3rd World," or accusations that electing Democrats would lead to more "3rd World cities."
Truth Social stock plunges by more than 15 percent after widely panned Trump debate

Shares in former President Donald Trump's Trump Media and Technology Group, the parent company of his Truth Social network, took a nosedive in early trading on Wednesday, plunging by more than 15 percent shortly after the opening bell on Wall Street.
The dive in Truth Social shares came after Trump delivered a widely criticized debate performance against Vice President Kamala Harris in which he ranted about hoax stories about Haitian immigrants eating Ohio residents' pets.
The drop in share price on Wednesday morning is just the latest in a series of downward slides the company has experienced since the value of its shares peaked in March this year at more than $66 each.
Now, however, shares of the company are trading in the $15 range with seemingly little hope of recovery in the near term, analysts say.
ALSO READ: Trump insults Fox News hosts live on air after they criticized his debate performance
At issue is the fact that earnings reports show that the Trump Media is not only massively unprofitable but is also generating remarkably little in terms of overall revenue.
In the last fiscal quarter, for instance, Trump Media generated just $836,900 in revenue, a 30 percent drop from the revenue it generated in the same quarter one year earlier.
Ex-prosecutor flags Trump’s ‘confession to a federal crime’ on debate stage

Former President Donald Trump may have inadvertently confessed to a federal crime during his "trainwreck" debate against Vice President Kamala Harris Tuesday night, according to legal experts.
Trump's comment that he would put an end to the Israel-Hamas and Russia-Ukraine wars "even before becoming president" shocked former federal prosecutor Joyce Vance, she admitted on X.
"Saying 'if I'm president elect I'll get it done (peace in Israel) before I'm even inaugurated' is a confession to a federal crime under the Logan Act," Vance wrote.
Gary Marcus, a professor emeritus at New York University, where the former president's son matriculated this fall, agreed.
"Trump just promised to violate the Logan Act, on national television," he wrote Tuesday night.
ALSO READ: Buckle up: Win or lose, Trump promises potential scenarios of violence
The Logan Act is a centuries-old law that bans U.S. citizens from engaging in unauthorized diplomacy to “influence the measures or conduct” of a foreign government.
The act bears the name of Republican politician George Logan, who met with French ministers in France during former President John Adams' administration and spurred a Federalist-dominated Congress to criminalize any such future trips, according to a 2018 Congressional Research Service report.
There have been only two Logan Act indictments since its enactment in the late 18th century and neither led to a conviction.
This is not the first time a Trump controversy has raised Logan Act concerns.
In 2018, former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn's resigned over reports that he discussed Russia sanctions with a Russian official before Trump took office.
The act appeared in the news again this August amid reports Trump urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu not to accept a ceasefire because it could give a boost to Harris' campaign.
That same month, CNN reported that more than 40,000 Palestinians had been killed and nearly 100,000 wounded in the conflict.
‘Totally normal response’: Trump blasted for threatening ABC’s license after debate flop

Donald Trump threatened ABC News' broadcast license after his widely criticized performance in Tuesday's debate against Kamala Harris.
The former president went on "Fox & Friends" the following morning to clean up after the vice president called out his false claims on abortion, immigration and other topics during their debate and he struggled to land any attacks, and Trump complained the moderators were biased against him for fact-checking a pair of obvious lies.
"ABC took a big hit last night," Trump told Fox News. "I mean, to be honest, they are a news organization, they have to be licensed to do it. They ought to take away their license for the way they did that."
ALSO READ: How the press corps is Trump’s assisted living program
The Republican nominee's comments alarmed many social users, who also noted that the threats showed Trump believed he had not performed well.
"Totally normal response to losing a debate," said journalist Mehdi Hasan. "Not authoritarian or dictatorial at all. Btw, this is the free speech champion that [Elon] Musk keeps hailing."
"'I was great! I won! It was amazing! What a triumph for me!'" tweeted journalist Michael Musto, channeling Trump. "He obviously then caught wind of the feedback. It was an unmitigated disaster for him. 'ABC News should lose their license!'"
"He was fact checked on immigrants eating dogs, and after birth abortions – both are hideous and complete lies," said architect Leonard Riccardi.
"Trump essentially just threatened to revoke ABC's broadcast license should he be re-elected," said cybersecurity expert Jackie Singh. "Believe him when he 'jokes' about becoming a 'dictator on day one.' Dictators don't believe in freedom of the press; they target journalists to limit their inconvenient speech."
"Last Night I told you all, you will know that Trump got destroyed in the Presidential debate if they start blaming the moderators and ABC News," said social media pundit Brian Krasserstein. "Well, here you have it."
"Unhappy with how the debate went, Trump threatens to take away ABC’s broadcast license," tweeted online activist The Tennessee Holler on Wednesday.
— (@)
Harris-Trump debate drives DC to drink — literally

WASHINGTON — It’s debate night in the nation’s capital, and that means many of the city’s sports bars are going to feel like booze-soaked libraries where patrons will be shushing anyone who dares speak over the two presidential candidates as they metaphorically duke it out on screen.
While most of the federal lawmakers Raw Story talked to have private debate viewing plans, there’s bipartisan consensus that tonight’s debate is must-see TV for the nation’s political class.
It should be no surprise that the town that annually throws "nerd prom" — a.k.a. the White House Correspondents Association Dinner — is being transformed into what feels like one big debate watch party as dozens of bars across Washington are offering drink specials that promise to wet the whistles of the city’s frattiest of frat boys and most serious of sorority girls.
Shots, shots, shots
At Union Pub, which is just a stone's throw from the Capitol, patrons will be included in a drinking poll of either a “Coconut Drink” — served in coconut cups — or an orange soda and vodka dubbed their “Orange Drink.” Doors are opening early as it was at capacity by 7:30 p.m. for the first debate.
ALSO READ: 'Outrageous': MTG blasts questions over Trump's cognitive health as 'absolute lie'
In the more upscale Dupont Circle neighborhood, The Admiral is serving up partisan "blue wave" and "red state" shots. And just down the street at Madhatter, they’ll be playing debate bingo while serving up red, white and blue shots for $5.
While most of the federal lawmakers Raw Story talked to have private debate viewing plans, there’s bipartisan consensus that tonight’s debate is must-see TV for the nation’s political class.
At the Royal Sands Social Club, Democrats will be enticed by their $6.50 "brat" special while Republicans can pound "Mar-a-Lago" shots.
Things promise to be more staid at the region’s eight Busboys and Poets, where local community leaders will address patrons at 7 p.m. before each restaurant airs the 9 p.m. debate.
While most of the federal lawmakers Raw Story talked to have private debate viewing plans, there’s bipartisan consensus that tonight’s debate is must-see TV for the nation’s political class.
Politicians are boring
While most all the drink specials around Washington are aimed at underpaid Hill staffers, many of the nation’s policymakers are planning their own private debate watch parties — one’s many are throwing for themselves.
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) was salivating for the debate early as he was walking through the Capitol on Tuesday afternoon with a fresh bag of specialty popcorn he snagged from the Senate Cloakroom.
“It's sweet heat. Some sort of popcorn,” Tillis told a gaggle of congressional reporters while he was waiting for the tram underneath the Capitol. “But I'll do what I always do. I watch debates by myself, and I’ll be having a good, nonalcoholic can of Sam Adams beer — I gave up alcohol last year.”
While Tillis gave up alcohol altogether, with a tight election just around the corner, he’s got some temporarily dry companions, like Rep. John Duarte (R-CA), who will watch the debate with his team at the Republican-only Capitol Hill Club.
“My staff and I, we get a table,” Duarte told Raw Story just outside the U.S. Capitol. “It’s usually quiet during the debate, but afterward, we all kind of get up and screw around a little bit.”
During the last debate at the private club across the street from the Cannon House Office Building, Duarte sipped a couple of rye whiskies, but with his own reelection on the line in November, the first-term lawmaker says tonight will likely be different.
“What will you be drinking tonight?” Raw Story asked.
“Probably nothing. When you travel — when you're a freshman on the West Coast, in a swing district, there's not a lot of times you feel like putting a couple down,” Duarte said. “The next day comes fast.”
Shhhhhhhhush
As for what he hopes to hear tonight, Duarte says he’ll be listening for policy.
“I just want to see both sides lay out their policy agendas clearly. Compare them. See who's credible in stating their policy agenda,” Duarte said. “I mean, obviously one person has a fairly consistent agenda that has been there. The other has an agenda that seems to want to evolve and mutate fairly on the fly.”
California Democrats laugh off Duarte’s critique that Vice President Kamala Harris is running away from her progressive California roots.
“That's the heart of her story. She leads with it all the time,” Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) told Raw Story while walking back to his office after voting in the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday. “She's running to be a president for all Americans. She has the right to evolve on issues. I think we all evolve on issues.”
As for his big plans tonight? Swalwell plans to get in the zone like he does on NFL game day.
“I watch debates like I watch the 49ers. I don't want to be in a crowd. I want to have the right to, like, cheer really loudly or scream really loudly,” Swalwell said. “It's weird. It's not fun for anyone who's around me.”
“Do you just watch by yourself?” Raw Story asked.
“No, I watch with my wife,” Swalwell said.
“Poor lady,” Raw Story joked.
“Poor lady, exactly,” Swalwell laughed. “She tells me I'm the unpaid assistant coach for the 49ers. That's kind of how I watch big games or big political moments.”
To make the evening more palatable for his wife, Swalwell’s planning to bust out a red from California wine country’s Wente Vineyards.
“Just a winery in my district where I got married,” Swalwell said.
While other politicians won’t be drinking, most all will be watching.
“Absolutely, I'm one of those few people who enjoy the presidential debates, particularly ones I'm not in,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) laughingly told a scrum of reporters at the Capitol on Tuesday.
It’s not just sitting lawmakers — it’s also sitting lobbyists, including at least one former Senate majority leader who’s bracing for the unexpected.
“Nervously,” former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott told Raw Story while riding an elevator in the Capitol. “Done a few of those — you better be careful.”
That’s one area of bipartisan agreement.
“The race is deadlocked. I mean, you know, it could go either way, so the one debate we may have, it's critical,” Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-FL) told Raw Story while walking across the U.S. Capitol grounds on Tuesday.
“Are you nervous?” Raw Story pressed.
“I think everyone's nervous on all sides,” Moskowitz said through nervous laughter.
ALSO READ: Caller asks if Trump will reveal himself as the Antichrist — many believe he already has
Michigan attorney general to decide on criminal charges for GOP state lawmaker

The Michigan attorney general is taking over a state lawmaker's criminal case after police sought charges against him.
Republican state Rep. Neil Friske has been under investigation by a county prosecutor, but now that multiple jurisdictions are involved, prosecutors are handing the case off to Attorney General Dana Nessel.
It has been 81 days since police sought charges against Friske. The announcement of the attorney general taking the case is the first public update about it since Friske was released from prison on bond, MichiganLive reported Tuesday.
Friske was arrested after police were called to his neighborhood in the middle of the night after reports of shots fired. While investigating the possible gunfire, police learned a woman might have been sexually assaulted.
Read also: ‘Clear indication’: Dems accuse GOP congressional candidate of illegal super PAC ties
Friske has denied accusations of wrongdoing and claims "no evidence was found" to substantiate the claims. He was voted out in the Republican primary, losing to Parker Fairbairn 63 percent to 36 percent.
Friske beat Fairbairn two years ago and was one of 11 Republican state lawmakers who demanded that voting rights ballot measures that voters supported in the 2022 and 2018 elections be reversed.
Popular articles
Where the Bands Are: This Week in Live Music and Concert News
“It Was Fun” | Konsta Helenius Reflects On 2026 Buffalo Sabres Postseason, NHL Playoffs
What Will Happen To Gasoline Prices When the Iran War Ends?
Ted Cruz snaps as Dem invokes famous 2013 clash: ‘You’re not Dianne Feinstein’

Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) interrupted Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) at a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing Tuesday to tell the Texas Republican she felt "personally aggrieved" by his lecturing — only to have Cruz fire back by invoking the late Sen. Dianne Feinstein, snapping, "You're not Dianne Feinstein."
The blowup came after Cruz delivered a lengthy monologue at a hearing on the Supreme Court's Louisiana v. Callais ruling — a 6-3 decision gutting Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act — accusing Democrats of believing Black candidates can only win in gerrymandered districts.
"The Democrats are fond of telling this story that is, and I wish I could find a kinder way to say it, a flat-out lie," Cruz said, rattling off Black Republican lawmakers elected in majority-white districts: Sen. Tim Scott, Reps. Burgess Owens, Byron Donalds, John James, and Wesley Hunt.
"In the Democrats' world, you're not Black if you're not a liberal Democrat," Cruz declared. "There is an arrogance to African American voters."
The Texas Republican then accused Democrats of being the real gerrymandering offenders, demanding to know how many Republicans represent New England in the U.S. House.
"Zero. Zero," Cruz said. "They've drawn every district in a naked gerrymander, and yet they're very upset that their illegal pursuit of power has now been stopped by the Supreme Court."
That's when Hirono cut in.
"Point of personal privilege," she said. "I feel personally aggrieved to sit here and to be lectured by my colleague from Texas."
Hirono then reached back more than a decade to invoke a now-famous clash between Cruz and Feinstein, who memorably told a freshman Cruz during a 2013 hearing on gun safety that she was "not a sixth grader."
"This reminds me of the time when he was first elected to the Senate, and the Judiciary Committee had a hearing on gun safety, and he felt a need to lecture Dianne Feinstein," Hirono said. "And she said to him, something along the lines of, 'I did not sit here on this committee for however many years she did, only to be lectured by you.'"
"And that is how I feel," Hirono continued. "So why don't you just stop lecturing the rest of us? Just because you think you are the smartest person in the world doesn't mean the rest of us agree with that."
Cruz didn't let it go.
"I knew Dianne Feinstein. I served with Dianne Feinstein," he shot back. "And you're not Dianne Feinstein."

