De do do don’t: Sting warns against AI songs

British musician Sting warned against songs written by artificial intelligence in an interview with the BBC published Thursday, urging caution about the technology.

The 71-year-old former frontman of The Police said, “The building blocks of music belong to us, to human beings.”

“That’s going to be a battle we all have to fight in the next couple of years: Defending our human capital against AI,” he said.

The use of AI in music is the subject of debate in the industry, with some denouncing copyright abuses and others praising its prowess.

AI technology was used to imitate Canadian singers Drake and The Weeknd in a song released last month called “Heart On My Sleeve”.

The viral track was briefly available on music streaming platforms before it was pulled following a copyright complaint from Universal Music Group, which publishes both artists through a subsidiary.

David Guetta meanwhile recently used AI to add a vocal in the style of rapper Eminem to a song for a live show.

But the French producer said he will not release it commercially.

“The tools are useful, but we have to be driving them,” Sting said.

“I don’t think we can allow the machines to just take over. We have to be wary,” he added.

Sting — real name Gordon Sumner — shot to fame with The Police in the late 1970s and early 1980s with hits such as “Roxanne”, “Message in a Bottle” and “Walking on the Moon”.

He then forged a solo career with classics such as “Englishman in New York”, “Fields of Gold” and “Shape of My Heart”.

© 2023 AFP

Related articles

The Gateway Tunnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BpQxPdernk I've got a message for the White...

FBI officially refuses to give local investigators any evidence in Minneapolis shootings



The FBI has officially notified Minnesota officials that it will not provide evidence from the shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti to local law enforcement.

In a statement on Monday, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) said the FBI had contacted it about three shootings by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agents.

"The FBI formally notified the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) on Feb. 13 that it will not provide the BCA with access to any information or evidence that it has collected in the Jan. 24 shooting death of Alex Pretti," the statement said. "The BCA reiterated the request to receive information, access to evidence, and cooperation in the Jan. 7 shooting death of Renee Good and the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis. It remains unclear if there will be any cooperation or sharing of information related to those two shootings."

"While this lack of cooperation is concerning and unprecedented, the BCA is committed to thorough, independent and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence," the statement added. "Our agency has committed to the FBI and Department of Justice that should its stance change we remain willing to share information that we have obtained with that agency and would welcome a joint investigation. We will continue to pursue all legal avenues to gain access to relevant information and evidence."

The BCA said it would continue to investigate the shootings without the FBI's cooperation.

"Anyone with information about the shooting of Alex Pretti, Renee Good or Julio Sosa-Celis is urged to contact the BCA at 651-793-7000 or by email at bca.tips@state.mn.us," the agency noted.

FURIOUS World Leaders FREEZE OUT Trump ON WORLD STAGE

MeidasTouch host Ben Meiselas reports on the...