Pittsburgh student Sudiksha Konanki missing in the Dominican Republic

(NewsNation) — The United States is sending federal personnel to the Dominican Republic to locate a missing University of Pittsburgh student.

Sudiksha Konanki, 20, went missing while on a spring break trip with friends in Punta Cana during the early hours of Thursday.

A resident of Ashburn, Virginia, Konanki was last seen on Mar. 6 at 4:50 a.m. while walking on the beach at Riu Republica Resort, which is just north of Punta Cana in the La Altagracia district.

According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, Konanki was last seen wearing a brown bikini, big round earrings, a metal designer anklet on her right leg, yellow and steel bracelets on her right hand, and a multicolored beaded bracelet on her left hand.

  • Missing Pitt student Sudiksha Konanki
  • Missing Pitt student Sudiksha Konanki

Konanki was one of six female Pittsburgh students traveling together for spring break. Konanki is also a citizen of India and a permanent U.S. resident.

Per the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, the Indian embassy in the Dominican Republic has led the search efforts, along with state, federal and on-the-ground law enforcement.

The Dominican Civil Defense said it, and a search and rescue unit has been working since Saturday to locate Konanki. Drones and helicopters are also being used in the search.

“It is our understanding that the US is deploying considerable federal assets to locate the missing female, supporting the Dominican National Police,” the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office said.

Anyone with information regarding her whereabouts is urged to contact the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office at 703-777-1021.

Related articles

Tonight, the @MTA reached a fair deal with the five LIRR unions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLL3nSzy6s The @MTA reached a fair deal with...

It Might Get Loud!: SatchVai Band, Animals As Leaders Tear the Roof Off in Buffalo

SatchVai Band: Surfing With the Hydra, with guests Animals...

Where the Bands Are: This Week in Live Music and Concert News

Have a cool concert or interesting event you know...

Republicans made a ‘tacit admission’ about midterms — and it could blow up in their face



A conservative columnist warned on Monday that her Republican colleagues just made a "tacit admission" about the 2026 midterms that could blow up in their face.

S.E. Cupp, a columnist for CNN, said during a segment on "The Source" with host Kaitlan Collins that Republicans have all but admitted that they don't stand a chance during the midterms with their push for mid-cycle redistricting. While those efforts seem to have paid off so far, Cupp warned that they could energize the Democratic base in a way that thwarts all the time Republicans spent trying to rig the election in their favor.

"Here's the thing that I think is important to point out if you care about democracy," Cupp said. "The republicans have done what they've done because they've been allowed to. But it's also a tacit admission that they know they cannot win without rigging it. They're out of ideas. They're not even attempting to win new voters or win back the voters that they've been losing since gaining them in 2024."

Several Republican states from Texas to Louisiana and Tennessee have adopted new election maps ahead of the midterms in an effort to preserve the Republican majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Cupp warned that voters can see through the Republicans' plans, and that may cause them to backfire in November.

"So this is the giddiness and the crowing I'm seeing from republicans about the state of the redistricting math and how it's helping Republicans," she said. "What they're not saying out loud is what I think a lot of voters can see, which is you had to rig it to make yourself competitive. And I don't even know if this will still make them competitive. They might actually be handing Democrats an advantage by really ginning up that base, firing them up to go and vote."