The biggest takeaway from the new JFK files? The CIA ‘failures’: Coulthart

For more from Ross Coulthart on the JFK assassination and other stories the media is supposedly not meant to tell, watch his series, “Reality Check,” on YouTube now.

(NewsNation) — The latest release of formerly classified files related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy are mostly, according to investigative journalist Ross Coulthart, a “nothingburger,” but he believes it’s likely there isn’t anything the government can do to dispel conspiracy theories related to the case.

“Frankly, I do think there are arguments that are worthy of investigation, that there should be a broader investigation into claims that there were multiple shooters and the unanswered questions surrounding the forensics in the Warren Commission that have only recently come to light,” said Coulthart.

The long-awaited file release has so far yielded little new information. Despite hopes that the files might contain groundbreaking details, early reviews suggest much of the material has been previously available in some form.

Coulthart believes it is unlikely that any revelation about the killing of a president would be found written in a government document, let alone allowed in the National Archives.

“It is a bit naive of us to expect to think that there might have been something in those files suggesting some kind of CIA conspiracy,” he said. “Why would they put it in writing?”

Coulthart, however, believes President Donald Trump’s decision to release the remaining files shows a degree of transparency not seen in previous administrations.

“That truly is an extraordinary achievement and a great moment in accountability and transparency,” he said.

What Coulthart believes is most evident in the files? The CIA’s “failures.”

“The history of the CIA, sadly, is one of an intelligence agency that has, frankly, missed so much.”

Related articles

Buffalo landlord’s problem properties

Andre Foster's track record as property owner...

Republicans made a ‘tacit admission’ about midterms — and it could blow up in their face



A conservative columnist warned on Monday that her Republican colleagues just made a "tacit admission" about the 2026 midterms that could blow up in their face.

S.E. Cupp, a columnist for CNN, said during a segment on "The Source" with host Kaitlan Collins that Republicans have all but admitted that they don't stand a chance during the midterms with their push for mid-cycle redistricting. While those efforts seem to have paid off so far, Cupp warned that they could energize the Democratic base in a way that thwarts all the time Republicans spent trying to rig the election in their favor.

"Here's the thing that I think is important to point out if you care about democracy," Cupp said. "The republicans have done what they've done because they've been allowed to. But it's also a tacit admission that they know they cannot win without rigging it. They're out of ideas. They're not even attempting to win new voters or win back the voters that they've been losing since gaining them in 2024."

Several Republican states from Texas to Louisiana and Tennessee have adopted new election maps ahead of the midterms in an effort to preserve the Republican majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Cupp warned that voters can see through the Republicans' plans, and that may cause them to backfire in November.

"So this is the giddiness and the crowing I'm seeing from republicans about the state of the redistricting math and how it's helping Republicans," she said. "What they're not saying out loud is what I think a lot of voters can see, which is you had to rig it to make yourself competitive. And I don't even know if this will still make them competitive. They might actually be handing Democrats an advantage by really ginning up that base, firing them up to go and vote."

This moderate Republican senator is already eyeing the exits 16 months into his term

Sen. John Curtis is looking at returning home to run for governor.