FSU shooting: Will the suspected gunman’s mother face charges?

Editor’s note: The video previously included with this story had to be removed because of copyright concerns.

(NewsNation) — The gunman accused of killing two and injuring six at Florida State University allegedly used his mother’s former service weapon — she’s a sheriff’s deputy — but legal experts say it’s too early to know if she will face charges.

“I think it’s going to depend on what the mother knew, how much she knew, whether or not she knew he was dangerous, where exactly that weapon was left,” former Judge Elizabeth Scherer, who presided over the Parkland High School shooting trial in 2022, told NewsNation’s Leland Vittert on Thursday.

Police identified the shooter as 20-year-old Phoenix Ikner, the son of Leon County Sheriff’s Deputy Jessica Ikner.

“Unfortunately, her son had access to one of her weapons, and that was one of the weapons that was found at the scene,” Sheriff Walter McNeil of Leon County said during a press conference.

Though not common, parents of school shooters have been charged in the past, most notably Jennifer and James Crumbley, whose 15-year-old son killed four students and injured seven others at a Michigan high school in 2021.

Scherer said the fact that Ikner was an adult could make this case different as far as the parents’ potential liability.

“As a parent, you’re responsible for your child, and you have a bigger responsibility to take part and protect the community from your child’s behavior,” Scherer said.

Legal analyst Misty Marris agreed with that point.

“Certainly could be a legal issue for the mother, but the thing is you have an adult,” Marris told NewsNation’s Connell McShane. “We’d be having a way different conversation if you had someone who was 15 or 16 years old.”

Police are still in the early stages of the investigation and have not said how Ikner acquired the weapon.

Watch the interview with Elizabeth Scherer in the player above.

Related articles

Trump frantically backtracks on core policy as beef prices skyrocket to record highs



President Donald Trump's administration will reportedly suspend some tariffs on beef amid record-high prices.

On Monday, The Wall Street Journal reported that the highest tariff "on all beef-exporting nations" would be temporarily dismantled.

The Small Business Administration was also expected to increase access to loans and capital for U.S. ranchers, the report said. The effort will reportedly include reducing protections for gray and Mexican wolves under the Endangered Species Act. Regulations on electronic ear tags for livestock would also be loosened.

Beef prices in the United States have reached record highs, driven by a combination of factors including drought conditions affecting cattle ranching, supply chain disruptions, and increased feed costs. The surge in beef prices has hit American consumers hard, with ground beef and steaks commanding premium prices at grocery stores nationwide, forcing many families to reduce their meat consumption or seek alternative protein sources.

Ranchers have culled their herds in response to prolonged drought and rising operational costs, which have constrained the overall supply of beef available to markets. Industry analysts point to climate challenges, particularly severe drought conditions in major cattle-producing states such as Texas and the Southwest, as a primary driver of reduced herd sizes and elevated prices.

The combination of supply constraints and strong consumer demand has created a perfect storm, driving beef prices to levels not seen in recent memory and raising concerns about inflation and the cost of living for American households already struggling with elevated grocery bills.

Our Budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrU9f7WuJLo Our budget is focused on one thing:...