Pope Leo meets with media, shares message to US: ‘God bless you all’

(NewsNation) — For the first time in his papacy, Pope Leo XIV met with thousands of journalists from around the globe in Rome on Monday, thanking them in Italian for their work covering the papal election.

NewsNation’s Robert Sherman asked Leo if he had a message for the United States.

“May God bless you all,” Leo answered, as he walked through a cordoned-off crowd of reporters.

The meeting was an opportunity for journalists and the world to get to know Leo, who assumed the papacy Thursday.

He spoke extensively about freedom of expression, freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and said those are things the international community needs to defend at all costs. 

He also spoke at length about the importance of being an informed society in order to make good choices and decisions regarding international policy. Unity and peace were recurring themes.

On Sunday, he addressed a crowded St. Peter’s Square and called for peace in Ukraine and an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

The new pontiff, born Robert Prevost in Chicago, became the first American pope after the death of Pope Francis.

NewsNation spoke with European faithful who said they’re focused on what Leo can accomplish, not necessarily where he’s from, and that they’re hopeful his papacy can yield peace and unity.

Related articles

Georgia Republicans worry their path to defeating Ossoff is becoming more difficult

The party is heading into Tuesday night’s primary with no dominant front-runner and many voters still undecided.

Trump AG has FULL COLLAPSE at SENATE HEARING

MeidasTouch host Ben Meiselas reports on Trump’s...

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."