Erie County Senior Services, Niagara County Office for the Aging and Western New York Independent Living will host the Western New York Summit on Aging and Independence on May 17, 2012 at the Buffalo Marriott, Millersport Hwy, Amherst, N.Y.
The mission of the one day Summit is to identify, examine and evaluate initiatives addressing emerging issues in research, public policy, and service delivery impacting the needs of the elderly and people with disabilities in the region. What is being done? Why it’s being done? What will be the impact?
The keynote presenter will be Kenneth Garbarino, M.D., Medical Director of Kaleida Health’s Geriatric Center of Western New York at DeGraff Hospital. He is a clinical associate professor in the Division of Geriatrics at the SUNY at Buffalo.
Presentations will include innovative advances in:
• Developing inclusion programs that incorporate age groups, disabled and non-disabled, rural and urban and culturally diverse populations.
• Enhancing and integrating systems for dissemination of resources and services.
• Diagnosing and treating the most prevalent diseases among the elderly and people with disabilities.
• Initiatives promoting healthy living, injury prevention and emotional, social and psychological issues associated with aging and disability.
• Responding to the needs of a growing population of elderly and people with disabilities.
• Application of affordable technologies that support independence.