Judge in Trump hush money case weighs if he violated gag order

NEW YORK (NewsNation) — Prosecutors asked New York Judge Juan Merchan on Tuesday to hold former President Donald Trump in contempt of court for allegedly violating a gag order at least 10 times in his hush money trial.

Prosecutors claim Trump wrote or said negative things in social media posts about witnesses, jurors, and others involved in the case, and asked Merchan to fine the former president $1,000 for each violation.

Todd Blanche, Trump’s attorney, has refuted the prosecution’s claims, asserting that Trump understands the gag order and there was no willful violation.

Merchan did not immediately rule, but he seemed skeptical of a defense lawyer’s arguments that Trump was merely responding in his posts to others’ attacks and had been trying to comply with the order.

If Merchan finds him in contempt, Trump could be issued a fine, sent to jail — which is unlikely — or receive a stern warning to stop.

Tuesday’s hearing took place without the jury present prior to the resumption of testimony in the trial.

The posts in question

The prosecution claims Trump violated the gag order with eight posts on Truth Social and two on his campaign website.

NewsNation’s partner The Hill reports that eight posts take aim at Trump’s former attorney and fixer, Michael Cohen. Additionally, two posts are about adult film actress Stormy Daniels and is focused on prospective jurors.

Four were posted in the lead-up to Trump’s trial, and six were posted during jury selection, The Hill reported.

What’s included in Trump’s gag order?

In an order first made in March and then revised April 1, Merchan barred Trump from making public statements about probable trial witnesses “concerning their potential participation in the investigation or in this criminal proceeding.”

Merchan’s order didn’t give specific examples of what types of statements about witnesses were banned. He noted the order was not intended to prevent the former president from responding to political attacks.

The gag order also barred Trump from making public statements of any type about jurors, court staff, lawyers in the case or relatives of prosecutors or the judge. Trump is allowed to make critical comments about the judge himself and Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

First witness testimony

In opening statements Monday, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Colangelo told the jury, “This case is about a criminal conspiracy” by Trump to “corrupt the 2016 election.”

He added that Trump “covered up that criminal conspiracy by lying in his New York business records over and over and over again.”

After the prosecution, Blanche told jurors, “The story you just heard, you will learn, is not true.” He added: “Use your common sense. You’re New Yorkers, that’s why you’re here.”

Prosecutors will continue Tuesday questioning their first witness, David Pecker, who they claim is a key player in a “catch-and-kill” scheme to buy and then bury harmful stories during the 2016 election.

Pecker, the former publisher of the National Enquirer and longtime Trump ally, allegedly helped arrange hush money payments to Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, to cover up an alleged affair.

Pecker, who was given immunity in exchange for testimony against Trump, only took the stand for 30 minutes Monday before court ended early for observance of Passover and to accommodate an alternate juror’s dentist appointment.

“This is what took me off the campaign trail. I should be in Georgia now. I should be in Florida now. I should be in a lot of different places right now campaigning, and I’m sitting here, and this will go on for a long time. It’s very unfair,” Trump said after leaving the courtroom Monday.

What happens if Trump is convicted?

Trump faces 34 felony counts of falsifying business records and arranging hush money payments to Daniels. These payments were allegedly aimed at concealing a sexual encounter Trump is accused of having with Daniels.

The charges center on a $130,000 payment that was allegedly made through Cohen shortly before the 2016 election.

Trump has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and said he will testify if needed.

The charges are punishable by up to four years in prison — though it’s unclear if the judge would seek to put Trump behind bars. A conviction would not preclude Trump from becoming president again, but because it is a state case, he wouldn’t be able to pardon himself if found guilty.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related articles

Republicans made a ‘tacit admission’ about midterms — and it could blow up in their face



A conservative columnist warned on Monday that her Republican colleagues just made a "tacit admission" about the 2026 midterms that could blow up in their face.

S.E. Cupp, a columnist for CNN, said during a segment on "The Source" with host Kaitlan Collins that Republicans have all but admitted that they don't stand a chance during the midterms with their push for mid-cycle redistricting. While those efforts seem to have paid off so far, Cupp warned that they could energize the Democratic base in a way that thwarts all the time Republicans spent trying to rig the election in their favor.

"Here's the thing that I think is important to point out if you care about democracy," Cupp said. "The republicans have done what they've done because they've been allowed to. But it's also a tacit admission that they know they cannot win without rigging it. They're out of ideas. They're not even attempting to win new voters or win back the voters that they've been losing since gaining them in 2024."

Several Republican states from Texas to Louisiana and Tennessee have adopted new election maps ahead of the midterms in an effort to preserve the Republican majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Cupp warned that voters can see through the Republicans' plans, and that may cause them to backfire in November.

"So this is the giddiness and the crowing I'm seeing from republicans about the state of the redistricting math and how it's helping Republicans," she said. "What they're not saying out loud is what I think a lot of voters can see, which is you had to rig it to make yourself competitive. And I don't even know if this will still make them competitive. They might actually be handing Democrats an advantage by really ginning up that base, firing them up to go and vote."

Ted Cruz snaps as Dem invokes  famous 2013 clash: ‘You’re not Dianne Feinstein’



Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) interrupted Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) at a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing Tuesday to tell the Texas Republican she felt "personally aggrieved" by his lecturing — only to have Cruz fire back by invoking the late Sen. Dianne Feinstein, snapping, "You're not Dianne Feinstein."

The blowup came after Cruz delivered a lengthy monologue at a hearing on the Supreme Court's Louisiana v. Callais ruling — a 6-3 decision gutting Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act — accusing Democrats of believing Black candidates can only win in gerrymandered districts.

"The Democrats are fond of telling this story that is, and I wish I could find a kinder way to say it, a flat-out lie," Cruz said, rattling off Black Republican lawmakers elected in majority-white districts: Sen. Tim Scott, Reps. Burgess Owens, Byron Donalds, John James, and Wesley Hunt.

"In the Democrats' world, you're not Black if you're not a liberal Democrat," Cruz declared. "There is an arrogance to African American voters."

The Texas Republican then accused Democrats of being the real gerrymandering offenders, demanding to know how many Republicans represent New England in the U.S. House.

"Zero. Zero," Cruz said. "They've drawn every district in a naked gerrymander, and yet they're very upset that their illegal pursuit of power has now been stopped by the Supreme Court."

That's when Hirono cut in.

"Point of personal privilege," she said. "I feel personally aggrieved to sit here and to be lectured by my colleague from Texas."

Hirono then reached back more than a decade to invoke a now-famous clash between Cruz and Feinstein, who memorably told a freshman Cruz during a 2013 hearing on gun safety that she was "not a sixth grader."

"This reminds me of the time when he was first elected to the Senate, and the Judiciary Committee had a hearing on gun safety, and he felt a need to lecture Dianne Feinstein," Hirono said. "And she said to him, something along the lines of, 'I did not sit here on this committee for however many years she did, only to be lectured by you.'"

"And that is how I feel," Hirono continued. "So why don't you just stop lecturing the rest of us? Just because you think you are the smartest person in the world doesn't mean the rest of us agree with that."

Cruz didn't let it go.

"I knew Dianne Feinstein. I served with Dianne Feinstein," he shot back. "And you're not Dianne Feinstein."

Trump AG has FULL COLLAPSE at SENATE HEARING

MeidasTouch host Ben Meiselas reports on Trump’s...

DOJ’s ‘Anti-Weaponization’ Slush Fund Creates a ‘Profound Loophole’ in the Congressional Appropriations Process

President Donald Trump’s Department of Justice announced the creation of a nearly $1.8 billion fund — dubbed the “Anti-Weaponization Fund”...