Markets record brief gains as tariffs plunge international stocks

(NewsNation) — President Donald Trump’s tariffs continued to rattle markets domestically and abroad on Monday, causing steep slides and minor market reversals in the U.S.

All three major indices — Dow, Nasdaq and S&P 500 — remained firmly in the red as markets opened Monday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average initially dropped 1,200 points, and the Nasdaq-100 and S&P 500 opened down 3% or worse.

Within an hour of the markets opening, Wall Street saw wins across the board, with all three indices back in the green — albeit briefly.

The stock market seesaw comes as many “misconstrued” National Economic Council director Kevin Hassett’s comments about a potential 90-day tariff freeze, a senior White House administration official told NewsNation.

The official clarified that a 90-day pause is not being considered at the moment. 

Trump threatens additional 50% tariff on China

Trump took to Truth Social to protest China’s upcoming 34% reciprocal tariff on American goods.

“If China does not withdraw its 34% increase above their already long term trading abuses by tomorrow, April 8th, 2025, the United States will impose ADDITIONAL Tariffs on China of 50%, effective April 9th,” Trump posted.

If Trump adds 50% tariffs onto the already-announced 34% tariff set to take effect later this week, plus the previously standing 20% tariff, that would put the total amount at 104%.

He said he would also cancel meetings with China’s leaders to discuss trade if they didn’t remove their 34% tariff by Tuesday.

EU open to tariff negotiations amid global market drop

The newest numbers come after a massive sell-off that sent Wall Street into a frenzy late last week, fueled recession fears and spiraled international markets.

Asian markets plunged to start the week, with Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 index dropping nearly 8% shortly after the market opened Monday. At one point, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng fell 13.2%, Shanghai Composite index 6.2% and South Korea’s Kospi 5.57%, per Google Finance.

India’s stocks saw the biggest single-day drop in percentage since March 2020, and the Australian dollar fell to its lowest since the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic.

A similar story played out in Europe, with Germany’s DAX index down 5.8% in morning trading, Paris’ CAC 40 losing 5.8% and Britain’s FTSE 100 shedding 4.9%.

European Union Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the organization is “ready to negotiate with the United States,” and could offer a “zero-for-zero” tariff agreement, multiple outlets report.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said that by Sunday, “more than 50 countries” had reached out about a deal to lift tariffs.

On Monday, a spokesperson for Beijing accused the U.S. of “unilateralism, protectionism and economic bullying” and “putting the U.S. first over international rules.” 

Trump doubles down on his tariffs as stocks slides

On his so-called “Liberation Day,” Trump increased tariffs on Chinese goods to 54%. China responded by adding a 34% tax on all U.S. imports.

Those tariffs and retaliatory measures are set to take effect Wednesday.

On Sunday night, Trump downplayed Wall Street’s reaction and defended the tariffs as necessary.

When asked how far markets would have to fall, Trump said, “I think your question is so stupid. I don’t want anything to go down. But sometimes you have to take medicine to fix something.”

In a social media post later that night, Trump said, “We have massive Financial Deficits with China, the European Union, and many others. The only way this problem can be cured is with TARIFFS … Some day people will realize that Tariffs, for the United States of America, are a very beautiful thing!”

The levies are expected to be a major topic of discussion when Trump meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday. The U.S. has slapped a 17% tariff on Israel.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related articles

Headlines for May 19, 2026

Trump Says He Called Off "A Very Major Attack...

Trump could ignite global chaos by giving the wrong ‘wink and nod’ on China trip: analyst



President Donald Trump may send the wrong signals to Chinese President Xi Jinping when he travels to China later this week, and that could ignite a new round of global chaos, according to one analyst.

Trump is scheduled to visit China between May 13 and 15, where he will meet with Xi and perform what is known as the "great kowtow," according to political columnist David Rothkopf of The Daily Beast. He noted during a new episode of "The Daily Beast Podcast" with host Joanna Coles that it will be the first time in American history that the President of the United States visits China while not being the most powerful leader in the world.

Rothkopf also noted that the dynamic between the two world leaders has some people worried that Trump may inadvertently send the wrong message to Xi, one that escalates the likelihood of another global conflict.

"There is a long history of world leaders making their way to China, the middle kingdom, because it was so important," Rothkopf said. "In this case, we have our wannabe king going to their successor to the emperor, but Xi Jinping is the emperor, and what is going to happen is that same thing that has happened throughout history, which is called "The Great Kowtow," when these leaders come in, and they have to bow to the Emperor of China. Trump is going to do a bunch of that. You just know that he is."

Rothkopf noted that there is plenty of stuff Trump could ask Xi for help with on the trip, such as his disastrous war in Iran. That could give Xi enough leverage to get Trump's help with a move that benefits China.

"In private meetings, this is what really worries people: Is he going to give a wink and a nod and say, 'I don't really care so much about Taiwan, ' or 'Help me out on Iran, and I'll help you out with Taiwan,'" Rothkopf said. "Nobody knows because everybody knows Trump doesn't actually believe in anything that doesn't put money in his pocket."

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."