Suspect in shooting of Israeli Embassy staffers faces federal charges

(NewsNation) — A federal grand jury indicted Elias Rodriguez with hate crime and first-degree murder charges for allegedly shooting and killing two Israeli Embassy staff members in Washington, D.C., in May.

Newly confirmed federal prosecutor Jeanine Pirro announced the charges Thursday, noting that Rodriguez was being indicted on nine charges in total:

  • Count 1: First-degree murder of a foreign official
  • Count 2 and 3: Hate crimes resulting in death
  • Count 4 and 5: Discharging a firearm while committing crime causing death
  • Count 6 and 7: First-degree murder while armed
  • Count 8 and 9: Assault with intent to kill while armed

On May 21, Yaron Lischinsky and Sarah Milgrim were shot and killed while leaving an event at the Capitol Jewish Museum. According to officials with the Israeli Embassy, the couple were soon to be engaged.

After shooting the two staffers, police said Rodriguez yelled, “Free, Free, Palestine,” before he was arrested. According to Pirro, Rodriguez had traveled from Chicago to D.C. with an “explication” on his phone that made clear his intent to commit these crimes.

Pirro said the death penalty is not off the table and that Attorney General Pam Bondi would decide if it will be sought.

“I want to make something perfectly clear. Violence against anyone in this district will not be tolerated. Especially violence which has hate at its core and is the genesis of violence,” Pirro said. “The president put me here to do a job, to clean up the district, to make sure that crime doesn’t overshadow this phenomenal city, our nation’s capital.”

Rodriguez has not yet entered a plea. His next court appearance is Friday.

Related articles

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."

DeWayne Carter Talks With The Media After Practice | Buffalo Bills

Defensive tackle DeWayne Carter talked with the...