Will the Caitlin Clark effect impact WNBA players’ salaries?

(NewsNation) — The basketball world can’t get enough of Caitlin Clark, and now that the college season is over, the momentum created by lifting women’s college basketball to new heights is expected to carry over to the pros.

The Indiana Fever took Clark with the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft Monday, immediately turning up the heat in a city and state that already lives and breathes basketball. 

While Clark will only make a little more than $76,000 in her first year, it’s projected that with current endorsements, she’ll make more than $3 million, ushering in a new era in the WNBA.

NBA, WBA TV rights negotiations

The NBA and WNBA will jointly negotiate new rights with Disney, which owns ESPN and ABC, next year.

However, amid the skyrocketing interest in female athletes, if the WNBA doesn’t get what it wants during this negotiation round, the league will have the option to negotiate its own deal separate from the NBA. It could mean more money and more respect in women’s professional basketball.

Rise in women’s sports viewership

Popularity in women’s sports has been rising throughout the past several years.

Last year’s WNBA season was its most-watched in 21 years, and the league saw its highest average attendance since 2018. Viewership increased 21% over the 2022 season across its national television partners and the league’s average attendance of 6,615 fans was the WNBA’s highest since the 2018 season.

Fox Sports averaged more viewers for women’s basketball compared to men’s, and women’s elite sports are projected to generate more than $1 billion for the first time in 2024.

The surge in popularity of women’s basketball is thanks in no small part to the performances of players like Clark, who helped reshape basketball history and captivated fans with her mesmerizing shot.

“Last year’s championship game, when most people still hadn’t heard of her, drew 10 million viewers. This year’s championship game drew nearly 19 million viewers,” said Michael McCarthy, a senior reporter for Front Office Sports. “Those are NFL-like numbers. That beats the World Series, it beats the Oscars, it beats the NBA Finals.”

Now, the WNBA is hoping to take advantage of these explosive numbers and new household names, hoping for bigger venues, higher salaries and more advertising dollars.

“The more media rights the league gets, the more money goes out to the players, and there’s more money to buy better facilities,” McCarthy said. “Private jets instead of flying commercial, real training facilities instead of broken-down things. And maybe paying these players a wage that gets them to stay in the U.S. instead of having to go overseas to Russia and get arrested like Brittney Griner.”

Surging ticket prices

StubHub reports it’s seen a huge surge in demand for WNBA tickets, with overall sales for the Fever up 13 times over last year’s start. The team still hasn’t said how many tickets it sold this season.

Clark grew up a Minnesota Lynx fan, and she’s scheduled to play them at Minneapolis’ Target Center on July 14. Tickets start at $230, with courtside seats demanding at least $1,400.

Potential Nike endorsement

Clark, the former University of Iowa guard, is close to finalizing an eight-figure endorsement deal with Nike, which could include a signature shoe line, per The Athletic.

The deal would be about 30 times more than the WNBA contract expected to pay her more than $338,000 over four years.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related articles

This moderate Republican senator is already eyeing the exits 16 months into his term

Sen. John Curtis is looking at returning home to run for governor.

What Will Happen To Gasoline Prices When the Iran War Ends?

President Donald Trump on multiple occasions has assured the...

Ted Cruz snaps as Dem invokes  famous 2013 clash: ‘You’re not Dianne Feinstein’



Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) interrupted Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) at a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing Tuesday to tell the Texas Republican she felt "personally aggrieved" by his lecturing — only to have Cruz fire back by invoking the late Sen. Dianne Feinstein, snapping, "You're not Dianne Feinstein."

The blowup came after Cruz delivered a lengthy monologue at a hearing on the Supreme Court's Louisiana v. Callais ruling — a 6-3 decision gutting Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act — accusing Democrats of believing Black candidates can only win in gerrymandered districts.

"The Democrats are fond of telling this story that is, and I wish I could find a kinder way to say it, a flat-out lie," Cruz said, rattling off Black Republican lawmakers elected in majority-white districts: Sen. Tim Scott, Reps. Burgess Owens, Byron Donalds, John James, and Wesley Hunt.

"In the Democrats' world, you're not Black if you're not a liberal Democrat," Cruz declared. "There is an arrogance to African American voters."

The Texas Republican then accused Democrats of being the real gerrymandering offenders, demanding to know how many Republicans represent New England in the U.S. House.

"Zero. Zero," Cruz said. "They've drawn every district in a naked gerrymander, and yet they're very upset that their illegal pursuit of power has now been stopped by the Supreme Court."

That's when Hirono cut in.

"Point of personal privilege," she said. "I feel personally aggrieved to sit here and to be lectured by my colleague from Texas."

Hirono then reached back more than a decade to invoke a now-famous clash between Cruz and Feinstein, who memorably told a freshman Cruz during a 2013 hearing on gun safety that she was "not a sixth grader."

"This reminds me of the time when he was first elected to the Senate, and the Judiciary Committee had a hearing on gun safety, and he felt a need to lecture Dianne Feinstein," Hirono said. "And she said to him, something along the lines of, 'I did not sit here on this committee for however many years she did, only to be lectured by you.'"

"And that is how I feel," Hirono continued. "So why don't you just stop lecturing the rest of us? Just because you think you are the smartest person in the world doesn't mean the rest of us agree with that."

Cruz didn't let it go.

"I knew Dianne Feinstein. I served with Dianne Feinstein," he shot back. "And you're not Dianne Feinstein."

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."