Growing list of organizations offering free admissions, tickets for events for federal workers
Erie County organizations are offering free or discounted admissions to furloughed federal workers in acknowledgment of their difficult circumstances and as a way to support them.
Among the local arts organizations involved in supporting these workers are O’Connell & Company, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, the Buffalo History Museum, the Buffalo Museum of Science, and the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens.
“I thank the local arts community for giving of themselves to support furloughed workers and again demonstrating that Erie County cares for its own,” said Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz. “We are a community that lifts each other up and that extends a helping hand when needed, and these gestures by our arts community may provide a welcome relief to federal workers and their families as the federal shutdown drags on.”
O’Connell & Company is offering free theatre tickets to furloughed federal employees during the government shutdown. Executive Director of O’Connell & Company Mary Kate O’Connell said, “As the government shutdown continues, O’Connell & Company is offering furloughed federal government employees the opportunity for a “little escape” in the form of a free O’Connell & Company show. We are proud to offer this relief to these employees and we challenge the entire local theatre community to step up and do the same.”
The free tickets are available for:
“THE KATHY AND MO SHOW: Parallel Lives”
- Onstage at The Shea’s Smith Theatre,
- 658 Main St, Buffalo, New York 14202
- Friday, January 25 at 8pm;
- Saturday, January 26 at 8pm;
- Sunday, January 27 at 2pm
“LOVE LETTERS” by A.R. Gurney
- Onstage at O’Connell & Company at The Park School of Buffalo,
- 4625 Harlem Road, Snyder, NY 14226
- January 31 – February 24, 2019
- Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays at 7:30pm and Sundays at 2:30 p.m.
Eligible federal employees can reserve a complimentary pair of tickets by calling the O’Connell & Company office box office line at 716-848-0800. Fed ID must be presented at the box office at ticket pick up.
For more information about this limited-time offer, call the O’Connell & Company box office line 716-848-0800.
Other organizations offering relief to furloughed workers include:
- The Albright-Knox Art Gallery is offering free admission with a valid government I.D. during the shutdown.
- The Buffalo Museum of Science is offering free admission to furloughed employees and their families with valid government I.D.
- The Buffalo History Museum is offering free admission to furloughed employees with valid government I.D. and their families while the shutdown lasts.
- The Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens are offering free admission to furloughed employees with valid I.D. and their families from 10 – 4:30 PM while the shutdown lasts; this does not include admission to the nighttime light show.
Interested employees should contact each organization for further information or requirements.
Poloncarz added, “These kind gestures on the part of our arts and cultural community solidify our reputation as the ‘City of Good Neighbors’ and show our support for our friends who’ve been furloughed through no fault of their own. I thank the organizations already involved in offering some relief to these workers and encourage others to consider how they might also help.”