A youth(-only) petition to declare a climate emergency will be given by the youth to the Buffalo City government, as it was to the Erie County Government yesterday.
The Rally is also part of Week for the Future, with many events. See below.
When/Where: Friday, September 20th from 2-5pm in Niagara Square.
Who: Organized by the WNY Youth Climate Council, Riverside Salem Environmental Cottage (UCC/DC), Sierra Club, WNY Environmental Alliance, and the WNY Peace Center. The event is open to all, and encourages climate advocacy, particularly from youth. Cosponsors (including for Week for the Future) are Brothers Doing Better, Buffalo AntiRacism Coalition, Extinction Rebellion, Interfaith Climate Justice Community, Interfaith Peace Network, No NAPL Coalition, NY- GEO, PeaceAction NYS, PeaceJam Buffalo, PUSH Buffalo, Roc Da Mic, 1199 SEIU, StandUp WNY, Stronger Together WNY, Sunrise Movement, Veterans for Peace #128, Women’s Resistance Revival Chorus WNY, and growing.
Why: Climate change is the most pressing issue of our time and our world leaders have yet to prioritize it. If we continue to sit idly by, our future is at risk. By striking, we are imploring our elected officials here in Western New York, in Albany, and in Washington to take the climate crisis seriously. To do this, we ask that they declare a climate emergency and begin taking drastic steps to mitigate the impacts of climate change and put real adaptation strategies on the table. Internationally, youth have been demanding action from elected officials and raising awareness through similar strikes. With only 11 years left to reverse the most severe effects of climate change, the time for action is now. We must also ensure, as a community, that in saving our environment we address the connected issues that we as a species face, and to make sure that racial, economic, military, gender, educational, immigration/refugee, and other injustices are not allowed to perpetuate in our society.
Week for the Future:
- Thurs, 9/19, 1pm, Old County Hall: Rally and Erie Co Leg meeting on resolution against wind energy (taking pro-wind position!);
- Fri, 9/20, 2-5pm, Niagara Sq: Youth Climate Strike/#Unite/Int’l Day of Peace – see above;
- followed by vigil for victims of Hurricane Maria (organized by PUSH Buffalo);
- Sat, 9/21, Noon-1pm, Bidwell & Elmwood: Women in Black – vigil for peace, justice, nonviolence to People & the Planet;
- Sat, 9/21, 3-5pm, UB South Campus, Hayes Hall: YOUTH-ONLY networking, collaborating, and action-planning session (WNY Youth Climate Council);
- Sun, 9/22, 12-5pm, Niagara Sq: Workshop/Citizens’ Assembly (Extinction Rebellion).