Youth Climate Strike Is This Friday!

A youth(-only) petition to declare a climate emergency will be given by the youth to the Buffalo City government, as it was to the Erie County Government yesterday.

The Rally is also part of Week for the Future, with many events. See below.

When/Where: Friday, September 20th from 2-5pm in Niagara Square.

Who: Organized by the WNY Youth Climate Council, Riverside Salem Environmental Cottage (UCC/DC), Sierra Club, WNY Environmental Alliance, and the WNY Peace Center.  The event is open to all, and encourages climate advocacy, particularly from youth. Cosponsors (including for Week for the Future) are Brothers Doing Better, Buffalo AntiRacism Coalition, Extinction Rebellion, Interfaith Climate Justice Community, Interfaith Peace Network, No NAPL Coalition, NY- GEO, PeaceAction NYS, PeaceJam Buffalo, PUSH Buffalo, Roc Da Mic, 1199 SEIU, StandUp WNY, Stronger Together WNY, Sunrise Movement, Veterans for Peace #128, Women’s Resistance Revival Chorus WNY, and growing.

Why: Climate change is the most pressing issue of our time and our world leaders have yet to prioritize it. If we continue to sit idly by, our future is at risk. By striking, we are imploring our elected officials here in Western New York, in Albany, and in Washington to take the climate crisis seriously. To do this, we ask that they declare a climate emergency and begin taking drastic steps to mitigate the impacts of climate change and put real adaptation strategies on the table. Internationally, youth have been demanding action from elected officials and raising awareness through similar strikes. With only 11 years left to reverse the most severe effects of climate change, the time for action is now. We must also ensure, as a community, that in saving our environment we address the connected issues that we as a species face, and to make sure that racial, economic, military, gender, educational, immigration/refugee, and other injustices are not allowed to perpetuate in our society.

Week for the Future:

  • Thurs, 9/19, 1pm, Old County Hall: Rally and Erie Co Leg meeting on resolution against wind energy (taking pro-wind position!);
  • Fri, 9/20, 2-5pm, Niagara Sq: Youth Climate Strike/#Unite/Int’l Day of Peace – see above;
    • followed by vigil for victims of Hurricane Maria (organized by PUSH Buffalo);
  • Sat, 9/21, Noon-1pm, Bidwell & Elmwood: Women in Black – vigil for peace, justice, nonviolence to People & the Planet;
  • Sat, 9/21, 3-5pm, UB South Campus, Hayes Hall: YOUTH-ONLY networking, collaborating, and action-planning session (WNY Youth Climate Council);
  • Sun, 9/22, 12-5pm, Niagara Sq: Workshop/Citizens’ Assembly (Extinction Rebellion).

http://wnypeace.org/wp/events/2019-09/

Related articles

Eric Trump Brags About New Trump Tower He Says Will Be ‘Tallest Building’ in Former Soviet Republic

First Son Eric Trump bragged Monday that the Trump Organization would be building a tower in Tbilisi, Georgia that he said would be the "tallest building" in the former Soviet Republic.

The post Eric Trump Brags About New Trump Tower He Says Will Be ‘Tallest Building’ in Former Soviet Republic first appeared on Mediaite.

New DOJ order ‘forever bars’ US from tax claims against Trump family



The Department of Justice has issued an order permanently barring the United States from pursuing any tax claims or other legal actions against President Donald Trump, his family, his trusts, and his companies, according to a Justice Department document signed Tuesday by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The order, issued in connection with the settlement of Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, stated, "The United States RELEASES, WAIVES, ACQUITS, and FOREVER DISCHARGES" the plaintiffs and is "FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED from prosecuting or pursuing, any and all claims, counterclaims, causes of action, appeals, or requests for any relief" against Trump or related parties.

The settlement agreement had already created what the DOJ calls Trump's "Anti-Weaponization Fund," a $1.776 billion taxpayer-funded pot to compensate people who claim they were politically targeted by previous administrations.

The barred claims include anything that "have been or could have been asserted" against the plaintiffs arising from three categories: matters raised or that could have been raised in the case or pending agency claims; "Lawfare and/or Weaponization"; or "any matters currently pending or that could be pending (including tax returns filed before the Effective Date) before Defendants or other agencies or departments."

The order was first flagged by CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane.

During testimony on Tuesday, Blanche defended the $1.776 billion fund and was accused of still acting as Trump's personal attorney.

MeidasTouch wrote in reaction, "Trump's personal attorney is at it again."

Keon Coleman “Time To Put It All Together” | Buffalo Bills

Bills Wide Receiver Keon Coleman addressed the...